- Invisalign helps you with your food intake. In our experience patients have given us feedback including our staff who have Invisalign have lost weight and able to control their diet easier. They are not eating as frequently. With Invisalign you need to wear the aligner for 22 hours a day 7 days a week and you cannot drink anything besides water while wearing the aligner. So people eat as frequently hence they lose weight.
- Stress, eating late at night, spicy foods, being overweight , eating large amounts of fatty foods, pregnancy, certain medicines, smoking, alcohol, coffee or chocolate all contribute to acid reflux or regurgitation Also known at Heartburn and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) . GORD causes symptoms such as heartburn and an unpleasant taste in the back of the mouth. This creates an extreme acidic environment leading to stripping of the enamel, called erosion of teeth and decay of teeth. Diet is a major component in how people get decay and bone loss.
- Most people think that sugary foods and soda is the worst foods and drinks for your mouth when it comes to decay. Surprisingly many healthy foods are even more acidic and more damaging to your teeth. For example Lemon & Lime, with a PH of 2.0 (which is the most acidic drink available today) ironically lemon and lime are known to help with acid reflux but they are even more damaging to the teeth. There are many other foods and drink that have super antioxidants that are great for the body but are very acidic and erosive to the teeth.
- Some non acidic basic foods with high PH’s can be damaging to teeth by feeding the bacteria to thrive in the environment
- When you eat and how much time you wait between flossing and brushing can have an overall effect on your teeth.
As you can see there are many aspects of diet that are related to a health mouth and smile. Our first appointment usually takes around 2 hours. We try to go over your diet and how it effects your mouth and teeth. Make an appointment today!